When i started writing this post, the first thing that came to my mind was a song from the movie, Half of a Yellow sun. It goes ‘this is the beginning…,’ but instead, my brain had it like, ‘this is the ending…’ I know. That is what this supposed ‘dead week’ is doing to me. I have so much stuff to do this week that I decided to carve out time to blog. I am trying to make sure that the stress does not get to me, and I have decided to share some of the tips that I use, or I’m currently using.
- Making Lists: Yes, I am organized( I don’t think my mother would agree tho). Last weekend, I wrote down every single academic thing that I have to complete by the end of finals week. Yes, it was scary actually putting the items on paper. I tried to number them according to when they were due, but some things were ehn! It might seem very daunting to look at all those things( some of which could induce a panic attack), but there is no greater feeling than seeing one more item ticked off your list.
- Drinking green tea: This one I actually tried today. I am not much of a coffee fan, and the only kind I get is a caramel latte with whipped cream (the best), but it is not always readily available, as there is no Starbucks on campus. Green tea has considerably less caffeine, and is actually good for your system (all the cleansing stuff, look it up). However, if you pick green tea as your poison, you better be ready to visit the bathroom MULTIPLE times during the day.
- Taking naps:At first you are probably like what? Isn’t that counterproductive? Actually it isn’t. I am so useless during the daytime. I study best at night, so I make use of the daytime for sleeping. I mean, if I am trying to do a ton of work at night, I might as well save some energy from the day to be productive at night. This works both ways as well. If you need the daylight hours to function, sleep very well at night.
- Take it one step at a time: This is particularly important when it comes to writing papers. Rome was not built in a day, and your ten paged Sociology paper will not be finished in one hour. I am still working on improving my writing skills(hence the blog), so I need a lot of mental hours to focus on it. I do not have that many mental hours to give to one thing so why not give it a little at a time. This worked very well for my English paper. I had a 10-12 paged paper to write, so I did it 400 words at a time. It took me a week+ to complete,and I got an A(flips hair).
- Let God take control: Like I always say to myself, you have to shoot for the moon, and leave space for God to do the rest. Read your books, study the study guide, practice the practice problems, and breathe. Always remember that you are in the Holy presence of God.
Finally, I would like to wish a big GOODLUCk to all who are reading and are about to take some sort of test, exam, submit a dissertation or thesis. Really whatever you are looking to the Most High to do for you this period. Remain blessed and stay safe.
P.s.-Shout out to everybody graduating this year. I wish you the best of luck as you embark on this new journey.
Psalm 118:25-‘O Lord, Grant us success.’ Amen ohhh